Updated: Mar 13, 2021
It's wet, damp and grey outside. The gyms, cinemas and pubs are still closed and we're all spending more time at home than ever before. In these circumstances, like never before it's time for us to review our loungewear wardrobe.
Loungewear wardrobe, I almost see those eyeballs rolling and eyebrows rising. Loungewear? "I'm 50plus, I'm at home! Nobody coming round! I put on a shirt for Zoom calls with the office! Why do I need to worry about what I'm wearing, let alone review my loungewear wardrobe?"
Even before Covid and lockdown ( i know it seems hard to believe now but there was a time before covid !) men's fashion was changing. Things were becoming more relaxed, dress codes were loosening and loungewear was moving into the mainstream.
My friends, if you haven't discovered the wonders of comfortable good quality loungewear then you are missing out on one of the real pleasures of lockdown life.
Remember we're all doing more at home. Working from home can make it difficult to separate work and play. The ability to change your look to reflect your mood and activity can help you separate those different elements of your life.
Now before we get into our list of the top 5 pieces of loungewear that everyman should have, here are a couple of things to remember when you're shopping for loungewear:
soft and breathable materials
1. Men's Casualwear/ loungewear essential Joggers: Joggers or jogging bottoms are the foundation of your casual wardrobe. Whether you go for the:
Smart Joggers: Think tailored, tapered legs and fine-gauge cotton that won’t sag at the knees.
Sporty Joggers: Flattering cuts made of technical fabrics ready for the gym - when they open again.
Everyday Joggers: Relaxed cut, soft comfortable, and reliable.
Lounge Joggers: loose cut, and ridiculously comfortable. They manage to be both airy and cosy at the same time. Basically, these are the ones you never want to take off.
Getting the right joggers for you is the key to your new loungewear look. Having more than one style of jogger will allow you to shift looks as you move through your day, and stop your better half from giving you that look that says "are you ever changing out of those."
2. Men’s casualwear/loungewear essential, Cardigan: Just like the jogger the cardigan has moved on. A couple of years ago Fendi introduced an oversized cardigan and this is the direction that I'm suggesting you take when you're thinking about your next loungewear purchase. Get the right cardigan now, and you're going be wearing it long after lockdown is over. I'm not saying that the traditional fit doesn't have a place in our wardrobe going forward. I'm just saying that by adding one of these long cardigans to your wardrobe you can keep the comfort and add the style to your loungewear selection. Note: Remember to colour-match it with your jeans and other casual clothes to get the most out of it moving forward.
3. Men’s casual wear/loungewear essential. Dressing Gown.
A dressing gown has two basic functions:
To cover us during those brief moments when we move between the shower and our bedroom or when the doorbell rings unexpectedly during the lockdown and you are not dressed for guests!
And to be the ultimate chill and laze around garment!
At this time of year when it's cold and damp, the only real thing you need to ensure is that your dressing gown is warm and cosy. That's important when you're moving between the shower and your bedroom; and when you're sitting on the sofa during the lockdown, whether you're working on your laptop or chilling in front of the TV.
Note: If you can't remember when you bought your dressing gown, it might be time to consider a replacement. If you can't remember when you last washed it, then it's definitely time to put it in the dirty basket.
4. Men’s casual wear/loungewear essential. Sweatshirts: The right sweatshirt will provide the perfect combination of cosiness and style. On the one hand, it should be presentable enough to attend virtual meetings. And on the other, it shouldn't pull too tightly around that Covid-belly we've all built up over the last 12 months. Here at 50plus, we recommend that you go for cotton or if you're particularly flush cashmere.
5. Men’s casual wear/loungewear essential #5 Slippers:
Now that we’re spending more time at home than ever, wearing the right house slippers is more important than ever. Not only is the purchase of the right pair one of the easiest way to pamper yourself, but they help ensure good foot health.
The best slippers should combine both support and comfort, so there are a few key things to keep in mind:
If your home has hardwood floors, a pair of wool or shearling-lined slippers with a supportive sole makes you feel like your feet are being hugged by a fuzzy rug
If your feet are sweaty, wool is a naturally breathable fabric that’ll keep both your slippers and feet dry.
It's time to exchange that knackered dressing gown, old t-shirt and ill-fitting jogging bottoms for something just a little bit more stylish. Something just a little bit more you.
This article featured products that have been independently chosen by the 50plus4men team. It contains links that are ads, and if you click a link and buy a product you won't pay any more but we'll earn a small commission and you'll be supporting 50plus4men.com